Start spreading the news…
I’m leaving today! (er, in 11 hours)
I want to be a part of it…
New York, New York!!!
Yes, this is my last update since I’m leaving on a jet plane and will be headed to my last con of 2014. Whew!
There’s been some last minute tweaks and updates to the NYCC schedule so take a quick read to make the best of your 2014 NYCC!
- Free tickets to the Dota 2 gaming competition! Each day, the first 250 NYCC badge holders will get in for free!
- Updates on guests for the Big Hero 6 and Tomorrowland panel
- Updates on the Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD panel guests
- Sleepy Hollow is back on the schedule! Also details on who’s coming this year!
- Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD signing at the Marvel booth
- Daredevil signing at the Marvel booth
- Alex Kingston (River Song from Doctor Who) may not be doing that panel, but she is signing autographs and meeting fans!
Also, there are more details on the main stage room and how they are clearing it this year. Only wristband holders for that particular panel will get in. Line up first thing in the morning for the panel you want (there will be different lines for each panel that day). When the size of the line matches the capacity of the room, they will start to wristband everybody and cap the panel. You are then free to go about your day or get into another panel that hasn’t been wristbanded yet. Wristband holders should report to the stage 45 minutes before the panel begins.
So if you want to see a panel, make sure you get there first thing in the morning to grab a spot. The good news it that you’ll get to enjoy some freedom! An interesting experiment, no?
Alright! I’ll be tweeting periodically so you can follow me (@Cambear) for updates. If you see me, say ‘Hi!’ (or run away and hide if you’re so inclined)!
Have a great con everyone!!
10/2 — To no one’s surprise, NYCC is officially sold out! The last of the Thursday tickets at the retailers is gone so I hope you got your ticket already!!
Are you officially excited yet? I’m still sorting out my schedule, but it looks like I’m going to be rather busy next weekend! The news continues to pour in so I’ve updated this post with a few new things for your “to do” lists!
- Michael Keaton and Edward Norton will be attending to discuss their new film, Birdman.
- Lucy Lawless (Xena, Battlestar Galactica, Spartacus, Agents of SHIELD, etc…) will be signing autographs and greeting fans!
- DreamWorks Animation will be showing off clips from the upcoming films: Penguins of Madagascar and Home.
- Josh Duhamel will be promoting a stage musical version of the cartoon The Last Unicorn. (No, this isn’t a joke.) There’s a panel at NYCC to honor the cartoon and maybe tease news about the stage musical. Josh will be speaking at the 92Y panel outside of NYCC. His wife (Fergie) is also a producer, but she’s not expected to attend the panel.
- There are also updates to the signings and more details on attendees for some of the panels!
That enough for you?
Oh and Uber is partnering with Chevy to help folks get around the city to all the events. There will be some special cars (decorated with various images from different comics) and riders will get a chance to win prizes like free NYCC passes! What a VIP pass for next year? Then get creative and tweet an original photo with the hashtag #ChevyNYCC and the top 10 photos will earn folks sweet tickets for next year! You can also receive a discount with the promo code of “ChevyNYCC14” from October 3 to 7. Just select the “COMIC CAR” because, well, why wouldn’t you?
One week to go!!!!
9/26 — Just a few updates before we head into the weekend!
Once Upon a Time screening and panel!
Powers panel and cast signing!
Information on the autograph lottery!
Oh, and I hear that NYCC will be CLEARING rooms after each panel. This is a new development and it means Saturday queue hall will be crazy with The Walking Dead in the middle of the day.
9/23 — Alright! New York Comic Con continues to make announcements about what’s happening during New York Super Week and I’ve decided to keep all the news centralized in one post since it’s pretty chaotic out there! With each update, the latest news will be flagged. Scroll down for news on the Star Trek: The Generation reunion, some additional panel info and new sections on autograph sessions!
BTW — did you notice that The Nerd Machine isn’t here this year? I think last year’s visit was the exception more than the rule since Zachary Levi was on Broadway last year.
If you’re looking for the DC booth, they are doing the same thing they did last year — they are taking out a few tables in Artist Alley and are, once again, ceding the exhibit floor to Marvel.
Bookmark this page as I’ll update it with additional information as it comes in!
Two weeks to go!!!
This year New York Comic Con (NYCC) is so big, its busting out of its walls! For the past couple of years, the con has utilized every nook and cranny of the Javits center so now the only option is to take over the city for an entire week! Called New York Super Week, the whole town is embracing all things pop culture with various events all over. While some of these events are not officially a part of NYCC, which begins October 9th, they are all a part of the fun.
If you want to avoid their horrendously awful website (unless you like webpages so laden with ads that it takes a year to load up and find anything), here’s the skinny on what’s happening that week!
The Eastern Championship of Cosplay
Over $10,000 in cash and prizes and a shot at the global crown will be at stake during the Eastern Champion of Cosplay competition. The winner of the con will represent the Eastern US in the global C2E2 Crown Championships of Cosplay which will be held in Chicago in April 2015. Yes, ReedPOP, the company with a global network of cons, is setting a world-wide cosplay competition so expect some spectacular costumes on Saturday night!
Dota 2 gaming competition (off-site)
ESL, the world’s largest, independent eSports brand, is proud to announce a huge Dota 2 tournament at The Theater at Madison Square Garden. Running October 9-10, thousands of video game enthusiasts will watch the top eSports teams in the world compete in the finals of a global Dota 2 tournament. For those who can’t make it in person, the event will be live broadcast on ESL’s Twitch channel.
[UPDATE] Each day, the first 250 NYCC badge holders will get in for free!
NYCC is working with IFC Center to provide sneak previews of new movies and revivals of action, animated and genre classics. The events include special appearances by filmmakers and creators including:
- Community creator Dan Harmon to present the New York premiere of Harmontown, a chronicle of his popular national podcast tour
- Special encore screenings of National Theatre Live’s Frankenstein starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller, alternating roles as Victor Frankenstein and his creation
- Director Jake Paltrow and star Nicholas Hoult to present a special advance screening of The Young Ones
- The New York premiere of the complete, uncensored director’s cut of Lars Von Trier’s notorious Nymphomaniac
- Spike and Mike’s Festival of Animation, a compendium of outrageous and award-winning animated shorts from around the world
- Classic Hong Kong Kung-fu movies, programmed by the genre fanatics of Subway Cinema
Looking for more? Here’s a list of some interesting happenings, just make sure you secure tickets before heading out!
- Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson (Cosmos) will continue to explain the secrets of the universe
- Dr. Horrible sing along and Joss Whedon-themed party
- TV Guidance Counselor with special guest Amy Sedaris. The host picks a random week in TV history and they discuss what they would watch on TV.
- Celebrity Karaoke with Ramin Karimloo, he of the heavenly voice (The Phantom of the Opera 25th anniversary performance and now starring in Les Miserables on Broadway), Justin Guarini (with less hair) and others.
- ENDGAME: The Calling concert event to celebrate the launch of the book with author James Frey
- Hot Sauce Takedown – Fry your taste buds at the culinary event
- This Week in Marvel Podcast – watch Agent M tape his weekly podcast
- Ron Perlman giving a book reading and signing copies of his book Easy Street (the Hard Away)
- Costume and Game Play Party at Dave & Busters
- Neil Gaiman talks – always a fascinating mind and he can voice double for Alan Rickman
- Thrilling Adventure Hour Presents: WorkJuice Improve Show and Panel – Friday’s edition includes: Janet Varney (Legend of Korra), Soctt Adsit (30 Rock) and Donal Logue (Gotham, Vikings). Also performance on Saturday
- Star Trek: The Next Generation cast will do a giant panel with host William Shatner. This will take place at the Hammerstein Ballroom with the main 7 cast members and Q and Tasha Yar! (Patrick Stewart, Brent Spiner, Denise Crosby, Gates McFadden, John de Lancie, Jonathan Frakes, LeVar Burton, Marina Sirtis, Michael Dorn)
- Rave of Thrones party with Kirstian Nairn (Hodor) spinning
- Jay and Silent Bob Destroy Manhattan – Kevin Smith talk
- X Japan concert
- The Karate Kid 30th Anniversary (!!!!!) screening and panel – cast will “wax on” nostalgic
- Adult Swim Tyrannical Maiden Voyage – a free three hour cruise around NY featuring a special concert and the Adult Swim folks. Check their website for details on how to get tickets starting September 29th.
- The Last Unicorn stage musical panel at 29Y featuring producers Josh Duhamel and Peter S Beagle.
Also, the Nerdist is doing a mini-con with panels including:
- Comic writers – Charles Shoule and Gerry Duggan on 10/8, Brian Michael Bendis (10/10)
- TV writers – Danny Strong (Jonathan from Buffy, but also an Emmy winning writer for Game Change and writer of Mockingjay), Terence Winter (Boardwalk Empire, Wolf of Wall Street) and more to be announced (10/9)
New York Comic Con
Oh yeah, and then there’s the actual con which has more movie and TV presence than ever before! Since the panels are just announced, we don’t have all the details on panelists for some of these talks yet.
- Big Hero 6 and Tomorrowland – Big Hero 6 is Disney animation’s newest movie based on a lesser-known Marvel comic. Directors Don Hall and Chris Williams, producer Roy Conli and “special guests” will be attending. I’m guessing Scott Adsit may be around since he’s doing other NY Super Week events. We’ll be getting our first look (hopefully!) at Tomorrowland the super secret project from director Brad Bird (The Incredibles, Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol) and Damon Lindelof (Lost, Prometheus). They will also have “special guests” which may include Judy Greer who will at the Archer panel. Is it too much to hope George Clooney will be around?
- [UPDATE] The guest list for Big Hero 6 also includes Ron Conli (producer) and stars Genesis Rodriguez, Scott Adsit, Jamie Chung and Ryan Potter. Tomorrowland will also feature Britt Robertson, Hugh Laurie, Raffey Cassidy and “special guests.”
- Lord of the Rings: The Music of Middle Earth with composer Howard Shore and author Doug Adams (my old high school classmate!!)
Doctor Who panel with Arthur Darvill and Alex Kingston – Fan-favorite River Song in the flesh!!! Cancelled! Sorry folks! Sadness…
- Bitten – OK, we now have a cast list! Laura Vandervoort, Mike Xavier, Greyston Holt and Steve Lund will join exec producers JB Sugar and showrunner Daegan Fryklind.
- Z Nation – showrunner Craig Engler and star Tom Everett Scott will talk about the new show on Syfy.
- Bob’s Burgers – cast and producers and clips
- Legend of Korra Book 4 – with creators Bryan Konietzko and Mike DiMartino and cast members Janet Varney, David Faustino and PJ Byrne
- Screenings for The 100 and Constantine
- Comic Book Men – Kevin Smith all all his crew will be around to chat all things geek
- The Young Ones – Michael Shannon (Man of Steel, Boardwalk Empire), Nicholas Hoult (X-Men, Warm Bodies, has a killer rendition of “Killing Me Softly”) and writer/director Jake Paltrow discuss the new film
- Elementary – Screening and chat with Jonny Lee Miller, Lucy Liu, Ophelia Loveibond and executive producer Robert Doherty.
- Adult Swim – presenting a variety of shows and will have Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, Jack McBrayer (30 Rock, Forgetting Sarah Marshall) and Seth Green on hand.
- The Americans – FX is bringing the critically praised show with stars Keri Russell, Noah Emmerich, Annet Mahendru and creators
- Archer – panel includes H. Jon Benjamin, Aisha Tyler, Jessica Walter, Chris Parnell, Judy Greer, Amber Nash, Lucky Yates, Christian Slater and creators.
- Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. with producer Jeph Loeb and “special guests.” My best guess on the “special guests” are Ming-Na Wen, Clark Gregg and Chloe Bennet who will be in NY for Paleyfest. We’ll see!!
- [UPDATED] Clark Gregg is confirmed for the signing. No one else is listed at this time.
- The Librarians is a new series from TNT, based on the series of successful TV movies starring Noah Wyle. Noah is a producer on the new series will start in December. Exec producer John Rogers will be on hand with Rebecca Romijn, Christian Kane, Lindy Booth and John Kim.
- Once Upon A Time is back! This time they will be screening an episode a few days early. Eddy Kitsis, Adam Horowitch and Jennifer Morrison (Emma Swan) are all expected to attend.
- Galavant, the new ABC medieval musical series will also be introduced right after the Once Upon A Time panel.
- The Hulk and Batman are taking the stage together! Er, Edward Norton and Michael Keaton are actually on a panel for the film, Birdman which is a black comedy about an actor who’s famous for portraying a super hero and battles his own ego.
- Black Sails and DaVinci’s Demons – Starz is back with a double billing of pirates and mad geniuses. Each show is bringing the full cast and crews! From the golden age of piracy, we’ll have Exec Producers Jon Steinberg and Robert Levine along with Toby Stephens, Hannah New, Luke Arnold, Jessica Parker Kennedy and Zach McGowan. Da Vinci’s Demons will bring creator David S Goyer (not showrunning this season since he’ll be in the DC universe), exec prod John Shiban and Tom Riley, Laura Haddock, Blake Ritson and Gregg Chillin. It’ll be nice to talk about Black Sails now that the first season is finally out!! Also, the hilarious cast of Da Vinci’s demons actually gave out props at the panel!! However, no Outlander this time…sadness! Yes, the first half season of Outlander will finish 2 weeks before so the timing isn’t right.
- The Walking Dead A staple of NYCC, the full crew is back with Andrew Lincoln, Chad Coleman, Danai Gurira, Emily Kinney, Lauren Cohen, Lawrence Gilliard Jr, Melissa McBride, Michael Cudlitz, Norman Reedus, Sonequa Martin-Green and Steven Yuen
- 12 Monkeys – Showrunner Natalie Chaidez and exec producers Terry Matalas and Travis Fickett will talk about the new Syfy series based on the movie. They will also screen the first 10 minutes of the show.
- Constantine screening and chat with Matt Ryan, Angelica Celaya and EP David S. Goyer
- Marvel’s Daredevil makes its first-ever appearance with show-runner Steve DeKnight, moderator Jeph Loeb and cast.
- Cartoon Network is hosting a Halloween Screening Partaay which will screen upcoming Halloween episodes of various shows and have a costume contest with guest judges and prizes. This is also where you pick up autograph tickets for the Cartoon Network signings
- Powers: Bringing the Graphic Novel to life Exclusively on PlayStation. Everyone wants to have that elusive content so excluve and desirable that subscriptions bump up. XBox was going to do a Halo series that fell apart. Playstation is pushing forward with a live action adaption of the popular comic title, Powers. Starring Eddie Izzard, Susan Heyward, Noah Taylor and Olesya Rulin, they will be appearing with exec producer Brian Michael Bendis to discuss the show. Powers had a pilot before, but it didn’t progess beyond that. Now that super heroes are everywhere, it’ll be interesting to see where this one goes.
- [UPDATED] Sleepy Hollow is back on the schedule! The panel will feature exec producers Len Wiseman and Mark Goffman and stars Orlando Jones and Lyndie Greenwood.
- Person of Interest – We’ll see Jim Caviezel, Michael Emerson, Amy Ackerman, Kevin Chapman and exec producer Greg Plageman are scheduled to show .
- Forever – Stars Ioan Gruffudd, Alana De La Garza and exec producer Matt Miller will preview new clips
- Gotham – Look for Ben McKenzie, Sean Pertwee, Robin Lord Taylor, Erin Richards and the producers at the panel.
- The Following –Eexec producer will show up with Kevin Bacon and Shawn Ashmore
- TBS’ King of the Nerds – Robert Carradine, Curtis Armstrong and friends
- Cartoon Network Anything panel has voices from many shows including Adventure Time, Over the Garden’s Wall, etc…
- Thrilling Adventure Hour panel will feature the full cast
- DreamWorks Animation will be showing off clips from Penguins of Madagascar and Home.
Guest autograph signings
Last year, NYCC implemented a new, online ticketing lottery for con-sponsored signings. It looks like they are using the same system for a few of the signings this year. The lottery will begin on Tuesday, September 30th at this website here.
So far, only three shows are available via lottery including Bob’s Burgers, Robot Chicken and Rick and Morty.
If this follows last year’s design, each person can select the autograph session they want and the computer will randomly determine if you are a winner. You’ll be told instantaneously if you are a winner or not. Since it’s a random generation, you don’t need to log on in the morning to win. Winners will need to pick up their winning tickets at the con. Please note, you need a valid NYCC badge for the day.
Not every autograph session is participating in this lottery so always double check to see how to get into any signing!
- Bob’s Burgers time and location are TBD (autograph lottery)
- The Legend of Korra – 11:00-12:00 at the Dark Horse booth #1636 (check at booth for tickets)
- TNT’s The Librarians – 2:30-3:30 at Autograph table 12
- Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD-2:45-3:45 at the Marvel booth #1345 (lottery draw for tickets at the booth first thing in the morning)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles – 4:00 – 5:00 at IDW publishing booth #1844 (check at booth for tickets)
- Gillian Anderson at Damsels in Distress Need Not Apply session -4:15-5:15 at Autograph table 19. Gillian is signing with Alexandra Bracken, Amelia Kahaney, Jennifer Donnelly and Romina Russell. Gillian may only be signing her book (Vision of Fire) which will be available for purchase.
- Adult Swim: Robot Chicken – 12:00-1:00 pm in the Autograph Area, Hall 1B (autograph lottery)
- Adult Swim: Rick and Morty – 1:15-2:15 pm in the Autograph Area, Hall 1B (autograph lottery)
- Powers 1:15- 2:15 Autograph table 14
- Black Sails 2:30 – 3:30 at Autograph table 12
- Cartoon Network 3:15-4:14 at 1E05 (get tickets at the panel)
- Da Vinci’s Demon’s 3:45 to 4:45 at Autograph table 12
- [UPDATE] Daredevil 3:45-4:45 at the Marvel booth #1345 (lottery draw for tickets at the booth first thing in the morning)
Thrilling Adventure Hour has announced there will be signings at their booth, but I haven’t seen specifics yet.
Paid autograph signings
There are stars aplenty also in the Autograph Area so look for some of your favorites down there!
- Stephen Amell (just waiting for his announcement that he’s “winning” NYCC like he won SDCC and Fan Expo)
- Gillian Anderson
- Nestor Carbonell
- Henry Ian Cusick
- Cary Elwes
- Giancarlo Esposito
- Jason David Frank
- Hulk Hogan
- The Karate Kid reunion (Ralph Macchio, Billy Zabka, Martin Kove)
- [UPDATED]Alex Kingston
- Lucy Lawless
- Eddie McClintock
- Bill Nye
- Ron Perlman
- William Shatner
- Star Trek: The Next Generation cast (Patrick Stewart, Brent Spiner, Denise Crosby, Gates McFadden, John de Lancie, Jonathan Frakes, LeVar Burton, Marina Sirtis, Michael Dorn)
- Karl Urban
Whew!! And I am sure there’s more to come! Tickets for NYCC are sold out online, but some comic retailers may have some tickets left so call around and grab them before they are all gone! There will most definitely not be any tickets available at the door.
NYCC is sold out!!
I’m exhausted just thinking about NYCC! But it’s my last con of the year and it’s a really fun one so I can’t wait!
Comment below or email me at Erica@MikeTheFanboy.com
For more adventures, follow me on twitter: @Cambear