When it comes to stylish adventure films, Queen & Slim has got you covered. In the grand tradition of Bonnie and Clyde comes this rollicking and action packed adventure that will keep you glued to the edge of your seat.
From Emmy Award®-winning writer Lena Waithe (Netflix’s “Master of None”) and Grammy Award®-winning director Melina Matsoukas (Beyonce’s “Formation” and Nike’s “Equality”), comes the unflinching new drama, QUEEN & SLIM, arriving on Digital February 18, 2020 and on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-rayTM, DVD and On Demand March 3, 2020 from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. Hailed by critics as “urgent and beautiful” (Mark Kennedy, Associated Press) and “simply gorgeous” (Cate Young, Jezebel), QUEEN & SLIM is a timely and powerful love story that confronts the staggering toll of racism where it meets the shattering price of violence.
Daniel Kaluuya (Get Out, Black Panther) and Jodie Turner-Smith (“The Last Ship, “Nightflyers”) bring QUEEN & SLIM to life as the titular characters. Kaluuya and Turner-Smith are accompanied by outstanding supporting performances from Bokeem Woodbine (“Fargo,” Spider-Man: Homecoming), Chloë Sevigny (Boys Don’t Cry, “Big Love”), legendary Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist, Flea (Baby Driver, Boy Erased), American country singer, Sturgill Simpson (The Dead Don’t Die, “One Dollar”) and Indya Moore (“Pose,” Saturday Church). QUEEN & SLIM comes from production company Makeready.
What I loved about the film is that it’s a big, bold tale that you don’t see much of these days. Both leads, Daniel Kaluuya and Jodie Turner-Smith are excellent and give wonderful nuanced performances. Especially Kaluuya, he’s been excellent in Get Out and Black Panther but here he really gets his turn to shine. He really rolls with the punches here and should be commended.
The film itself is flawed, but enjoyable. There are times when this journey is done as a straight forward tale of systemic racism and police brutality while at other times it veers off into a more ironic tale. It’s as if the film wanted to be Natural Born Killers but didn’t want to go that far so it pulls itself back and relies on it’s stylish approach and filmmaking to get it over the finish line.
This certainly isn’t a deal breaker when it comes to seeing the movie but it did give me pause, because there were moments that the film was so self assured I could see everything it could do but then the film itself pulls back at it’s emotional center as if to say, “Oh no, these characters aren’t like that.” I wonder if that was done to give the characters more depth which sort of worked but I don’t know if it was as effective as it could have been in the long run.
Overall though, I really enjoyed this movie and think that it should get a bigger audience on home video than it did in theaters. I’m hoping that more people find the film over time.
Check out the special features on the blu-ray release below:
BONUS FEATURES on 4K ULTRA HD, BLU-RAYTM, DVD AND DIGITAL:
- Feature Commentary with Director/Producer Melina Matsoukas and Writer/Producer Lena Waithe
- A Deeper Meaning – Daniel Kaluuya, Jodie Turner-Smith and filmmakers discuss the complicated
journeys of Queen & Slim and explore the deeper meanings of how far these characters have come from where they began.
- Melina & Lena – A behind-the-scenes look at the creative partnership between director/producer
Melina Matsoukas and screenwriter/producer Lena Waithe.
- Off The Script – Screenwriter Lena Waithe reads from her original screenplay for Queen & Slim.
- On The Run With Queen & Slim – Go behind the scenes with the cast and crew of Queen & Slim as they film in Cleveland and New Orleans.
QUEEN & SLIM WILL BE AVAILABLE ON 4K ULTRA HD, BLU-RAYTM, DVD AND DIGITAL
- 4K ULTRA HD is the ultimate movie watching experience. 4K Ultra HD features the combination of 4K resolution for four times sharper picture than HD, the color brilliance of High Dynamic Range (HDR) with immersive audio delivering a multidimensional sound experience.
- BLU-RAYTM unleashes the power of your HDTV and is the best way to watch movies at home, featuring 6X the picture resolution of DVD, exclusive extras and theater-quality surround sound.
- DIGITAL lets fans watch movies anywhere on their favorite devices. Users can instantly stream or download.
- MOVIES ANYWHERE is the digital app that simplifies and enhances the digital movie collection and viewing experience by allowing consumers to access their favorite digital movies in one place when purchased or redeemed through participating digital retailers. Consumers can also redeem digital copy codes found in eligible Blu-rayTM and DVD disc packages from participating studios and stream or download them through Movies Anywhere. MOVIES ANYWHERE is only available in the United States. For more information, visit https://moviesanywhere.com.
Share on Facebook