I thought since many of us are forcibly working from home, or not allowed to work at all, a list of my favorite “the world as we know it is ending” films might be a fun distraction. In fact, most of these movies will make having the Coronavirus seem like a good time. Here are my top twelve picks:
12. The Impossible (2013) – Based on the true experience of a family caught in the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. This is an isolated disaster, but still a great movie with a young Tom Holland who steals the movie from his adult co-stars.
11. Outbreak (1995) – Army doctors struggle to find a cure for a deadly virus spreading throughout a California town that was brought to America by an African monkey. Not the best movie, but sort of relative at the moment.
10. Carriers (2009) – As a lethal virus spreads globally, four friends seek a reputed plague-free haven. But while avoiding the infected, the travelers turn on one another. An underrated indie film without an A-list stars.
9. 12 Monkeys (1995) – In a future world devastated by disease, a convict is sent back in time to gather information about the man-made virus that wiped out most of the human population on the planet. Stylized and weird, but a cult favorite for any Terry Gilliam fan.
8. Contagion (2011) – Healthcare professionals, government officials and everyday people find themselves in the midst of a pandemic as the CDC works to find a cure. The thinking man’s version of Outbreak.
7. The Day After (1983) – The effects of a devastating nuclear holocaust on small-town residents of eastern Kansas. While technically a made for TV movie, if you can find this one, I highly recommend it. This scared the crapoola out of me when I was a kid!
6. 28 Days Later (2002) – Four weeks after a mysterious, incurable virus spreads throughout the UK, a handful of survivors try to find sanctuary. Not exactly a zombie movie, but rather a thought provoking study of humanity.
5. The Stuff (1985) – A delicious, mysterious goo that oozes from the earth is marketed as the newest dessert sensation, but the tasty treat rots more than teeth when zombie-like snackers who only want to consume more of the strange substance at any cost begin infesting the world. A cheesy good time, 80’s style.
4. War of the Worlds (2005) – As Earth is invaded by alien tripod fighting machines, one family fights for survival in this sci-fi action film. No disaster movie list would be complete without a good ole fashioned alien invasion.
3. World War Z (2013) – Former United Nations employee Gerry Lane traverses the world in a race against time to stop a zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments and threatens to destroy humanity itself. That about says it all.
2. Slither (2006) – A small town is taken over by an alien plague, turning residents into zombies and all forms of mutant monsters. This one is chock full of humor and stars Nathan Fillion at his goofiest.
1. A Quiet Place (2018) – In a post-apocalyptic world, a family is forced to live in silence while hiding from monsters with ultra-sensitive hearing. If you haven’t seen this one yet, make it a top priority!
There you have it. Did your favorite the world is ending movie make the list? Let me know in the comments below. Be safe and healthy and happy movie watching!!
Share on Facebook